8 T (1) stick butter
½ c granulated sugar
¼ c honey
2 eggs, room temp
1 c buttermilk room temp
1 c all-purpose flour
1 c cornmeal
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (for brushing)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or lightly butter an 8X8 inch glass or metal baking pan, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, and honey. Whisk the eggs one at a time, beating until the mixture is smooth. Add the buttermilk and mix to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring with a spatula until only a few lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula to create an even layer. Allow the batter to sit for 3 minutes before placing in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, brush the top with butter and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.